Brunswick Community Primary School's Governors have the responsibility to provide strategic leadership and accountability in the school for ensuring high standards of achievement and the best possible education for all our children. They do this by:
- Setting the school’s vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
Governors are a corporate body, established in law, which means they must work together jointly to achieve the above purposes. Individual governors must not act independently of the Governing Body as a whole. The Governors appoint the headteacher and deputy headteacher and have responsibility for agreeing school objectives and policies, and evaluating progress in achieving these. The headteacher has responsibility for the internal organisation, management and control of the school and the implementation of the strategic direction and policies agreed by Governors. They act as his critical friend, challenging and supporting him to ensure that Brunswick’s vision is achieved for every child: ‘Desire to learn; aspire to achieve’.
Governors are elected or appointed for 3 year terms; they can be re-elected or re-appointed. The Governing Body has a chair and a vice chair and two sub-committees: Learning and Teaching and Resources. The full Governing Body and the sub-committees normally meet once a term.
Brunswick has 14 Governors made up as follows:
- 4 governors elected by parents
- 1 governor elected by staff
- 1 governor appointed by the local authority
- 5 governors co-opted by the governing body
- 2 governors appointed by the Crucible Co-operative Learning Trust of which Brunswick is a member
- The headteacher
Our Governing Body is made up of two sub-committees, which meet on a termly basis. The two committees are the Learning and Teaching Committee and the Resources Committee. Both of the committees together form the school's Full Governing Body. For more information click on the links below.